2022-04-28 04:46:00

Bulldogs major sponsor Arthur Laundy has thrown his support behind coach Trent Barrett in the wake of Phil Gould asserting his authority at Belmore this week.

The smart money says Gould and Barrett were on the same page about the Bulldogs general manager of football giving the Canterbury-Bankstown roster a rocket at a video session and then taking over the club’s training session on Tuesday.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.

MORE NRL NEWS

PRESSURE GAUGE: Ponga excuse won’t wash and the dark horse emerging

BLOOD IN THE WATER: Walters contract clause exposed

BRONCOS $1M BLUNDER: How Reynolds could have had a star halves partner

Few in the game can deliver a cutting spray like Gould and after a six-game losing streak the Bulldogs are clearly in need of a circuit breaker.

Gould challenged the club’s leadership group to deliver more during the video session before taking control of the Belmore Oval training session.

Laundy – who has a long-association with Barrett – told Fox Sports he was unaware of the day-to-day goings on at Belmore but offered his unequivocal support of the Canterbury-Bankstown head coach.

“I haven’t spoken to Trent or Gus but they both know they’ve got my full support,” Laundy said.

“They’re obviously both trying to do everything they can to turn the results around and start winning some games.

“Trent’s got to be given this opportunity to try and turn the club around and unfortunately we’re going through a tough period at the moment.

“The way things have gone so far this year Gus obviously felt the players needed a different voice at training. But there’s no doubt in my mind Trent is still the coach of the side.”

ORIGIN CASE BECOMING TO HARD TO IGNORE

Parramatta prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard has given the NSW Blues brains trust something to think about by starting the season in outstanding form.

RCG finished last year as one of the form forward’s of the finals and has doubled down again over the opening seven rounds this season.

Against the Newcastle Knights in round seven the Eels big unit made a major statement against NSW incumbent Daniel Saifiti and the other bonus is his blue and gold front-row partner in crime Junior Paulo will in all likelihood also be part of the NSW set-up.

In fairness to Knights prop Saifiti he’s had an injury disrupted pre-season and start to 2022 and was outstanding as the Blues play one starting front row forward in the opening two games of the series last year.

But if RCG’s form continues then it’s getting to the stage where it’s going to be impossible to ignore his case.

Reagan Campbell-Gillard has sent a message to Brad Fittler.Source: Getty Images

MANLY’S AWKWARD FORAN DILEMMA

The Kieran Foran situation at Manly is a big watch. The Sea Eagles have offered Foran another 12-month contract for 2023 valued at around $300,000 per season.

But there is a push from within at Manly for young gun Sea Eagle Josh Schuster to be handed the starting no.6 jumper now he’s back from a syndesmosis injury.

Schuster’s agent Mario Tartak sent the club an email this week reminding them about the immensely talented ball-player being told he was the Sea Eagles long-term no.6.

But Foran has returned to career-best form since reuniting with Manly after an injury-interrupted three seasons at Canterbury-Bankstown.

There’s no question the Sea Eagles are a far more potent side with a Daly Cherry-Evans-Foran halves pairing and Schuster also on the field as an edge backrower.

Manly players have even said as much when asked about it this week.

Since returning to the Sea Eagles at the beginning of 2021, Foran has only missed two games because of a broken hand in the middle of last year.

He’s also prepared to dig deep into the line as well as any other five-eighth in the game – hence why the Sea Eagles have offered him a 12-month extension.

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler has a strong track record at being one of the best man managers in the game so there’s no doubt Des will strike the right combination in terms of the balance of the Manly side.

Kieran Foran has been offered a one-year deal.Source: Getty Images

STORM SET FOR BIG BOOST

The Melbourne Storm will soon have a huge inclusion in the form of suspended front row forward Tui Kamikamica with the NRL in the process of finalising his no-fault stand down case.

Currently suspended for the opening seven rounds of the season, Kamikamica had assault charges dropped in a Queensland court earlier this week paving the way for a return to playing for the Purple Reign.

It’s a timely inclusion given the Storm are missing Queensland Origin forward Christian Welch for the entire season with a ruptured Achilles.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo is expected to finalise the Kamikamica case in the next 24 hours with a chance the Storm forward could be asked to complete some education and training courses.

Storm filthy with Dolphins over Munster | 02:50

ROOSTERS ENFORCER HELL BENT ON REVENGE

We’re big fans of Victor The Inflictor Radley and the way the old school lock forward plays the game.

Which is why it’s going to be fascinating viewing when Victor and Tevita Pangai Jnr come face-to-face for the first time since round 11 last year.

We all remember the night when Radley was sin binned twice and subsequently suspended for five weeks when the Broncos upstaged the Roosters at the SCG.

Pangai was on a mission and got the result as the Broncos caused an upset while Radley saw red about the treatment dished out to some of his Roosters teammates.

Specifically, Radley challenged Pangai to come after him – not rookie Roosters playmaker Sam Walker.

This time around Tevita is playing for Canterbury-Bankstown and the Bulldogs are coming off a mid-week bake from one of the game’s most influential figures in Phil Gould.

It’s been interesting to note Radley has spoken publicly on a number of occasions this year about how he let the Roosters down in 2021 by spending so much time on the sidelines suspended.

We’re tipping Victor will try to keep a lid on things on Super Saturday.

But when the opportunity presents there’s no question these two firebrands will go after one another.

Mic’d Up! AJ Brimson joins Fox League | 01:47

WHY NRL REF WAS REALLY SACKED

The reason why referee Adam Gee was axed after the howler involving Roosters winger Daniel Tupou was because the whistle-blower offered an opinion to video match official Ashely Klein in the bunker.

Gee said words to the effect that he didn’t think there was that much in the Tupou old fashioned coat-hanger on Mikale Ravalawa.

It was a big call given Blind Freddy could see it have been a sin bin due to the direct contact with the St George Illawarra winger’s head.

After all the carry-on and crack downs about contact to the head, this was one was clearly an open and shut case.

Gee paid the price and has been stood down from whistle-blowing for round eight.

#Trent #Barrett #Bulldogs #future #Phil #Gould #Jimmy #Brings #Kieran #Foran #Sea #Eagles #contract #NSW #Origin #selections #transfer #news

Source by [graycupnews.com]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here