Eels enforcer Junior Paulo has called out Paul Gallen for a rematch as he eyes a return to the ring.
Paulo was in the audience to watch Gallen’s 10-round blockbuster against Kris Terzievski on Wednesday night at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre.
Gallen was valiant in defeat, staging a gutsy comeback to land a number of punches in the final two rounds, after being clearly outclassed in the opening eight.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-days free now.
Many have called for the former Sharks and Blues gun to retire from boxing, but the 40-year-old showed he still had some juice left in the tank and Paulo could shape up as his next opponent six years on from their last bout in 2016.
“I had a cheeky talk with George Rose (Gallen’s promoter) and he wants me to get back in the ring at the end of the year,” Paulo said.
“I fought Gal (Paul Gallen) back in 2016 and I wouldn’t mind squaring it up again. We’ll see if it happens.
MORE NRL NEWS
‘CAN’T LODGE IT WITH NRL’: Crichton’s contract exposes Roosters salary cap crisis
‘VALUE SKYROCKETS’: Panthers’ ‘inevitable’ reality linking star duo to Dolphins
MAGIC ROUND GUIDE: Festival of rugby league descends on Suncorp Stadium
TRANSFER CENTRE: Bulldogs lock up young star, Dolphins poach Cowboys gun
‘A COUPLE STEPS AHEAD’: Brandy’s warning to Storm as rivals circle Munster
When asked if he would step into the ring again for a rematch with Gallen, Paulo didn’t pull any punches.
“It is definitely on the cards, I will take a shot at it.”
“I had experience last year with a fight in February (in Townsville against Neville Costigan) and it’s something I want to do again, so why not?
Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!
“Have another shot at squaring up with Gal.”
In the pair’s first bout Gallen came away a unanimous decision winner across three rounds, but Paulo’s speed and footwork impressed boxing critics.
After the Australian heavyweight title fight, Gallen admitted retirement from boxing was a possibility, suffering his second career loss.
“My good mate Pete Mitrevski told me you don’t age in between fights, you age in between rounds, it felt that way,” Gallen said.
“I don’t know yet (if this is my last fight), it might be.
“I’m humble in victory, I’m humble in defeat.”
KFC SuperCoach is back! You could win the Holy Grail of Fantasy Footy plus $50k cash. Play now