NGT nod thwarted Gandhis’ bid to stall Nicobar plan: BJP | India News
NEW DELHI: BJP on Tuesday sharply criticised Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi over their opposition to the Great Nicobar island infrastructure project, accusing them of going to great lengths to derail it. The governing party cited the National Green Tribunal’s nod to the initiative as a triumph of truth that foiled their disruptive attempts.Coal and mines minister G Kishan Reddy alleged, “On directions from international collaborators, the mother-son duo of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi have been going to great lengths to derail the Great Nicobar mega infrastructure project worth approximately Rs 80,000 crore.”India currently relies heavily on foreign ports for transshipment, he said, adding that the project aims to construct an international transshipment terminal, an international airport, a power plant and a township, leveraging its proximity to the Malacca Strait.“With this, another attempt by the Gandhis has failed,” he said, referring to their opposition over alleged environmental damage.Sonia Gandhi, in a newspaper article last year, had called the project the making of “an ecological disaster” and a “grave misadventure” trampling tribal rights and legal processes. Echoing her, Rahul Gandhi said it underscores “injustices inflicted on Nicobar’s people and its delicate ecosystem”.The central govt has rejected the criticism, asserting the project will not harm or displace indigenous tribes and will help counter China’s expansionist designs. Reddy said the proposed hub would cater to East-West cargo routes, emphasising the NGT’s acknowledgement of safeguards.“As PM Narendra Modi dedicates his life to building a strong atmanirbhar and Viksit Bharat, many have tried to obstruct India’s development journey. However, those opposing India will continue to fail,” he said.