Show of force? US sends 50+ fighter jets including F-22s, F-35s, F-16s to Middle East amid talks with Iran
The United States moved more than 50 fighter jets toward the Middle East in the past 24 hours as Washington and Iran held high-stakes nuclear talks. The aircraft include F-22, F-35, and F-16 jets, along with several refueling planes tracked by social media accounts that monitor military flights. Flight tracking data in recent days also showed unusually heavy movement of US airpower toward bases in Europe and the Middle East, according to open-source flight tracking data, cited by Times of Israel.The military buildup also includes continued deliveries of US air defense systems to the region, according to a US official, cited by CNN. Several American units already deployed in the Middle East that were due to rotate out in the coming weeks have had their deployments extended, a source familiar with the matter said. Flight-tracking data shows dozens of US military cargo planes have carried equipment from the United States to Jordan, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia in recent weeks, with more than 250 US cargo flights into the region recorded overall.Some of the aircraft moved are the same types used in last June’s Operation Midnight Hammer on Iranian nuclear facilities, people familiar with the matter told Air & Space Forces Magazine.The deployments come as Washington and Iran held a second round of talks in Geneva over Tehran’s nuclear program. Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said the meeting produced agreement on “guiding principles” for future negotiations, with both sides planning to exchange draft texts for a potential deal. No timeline has been set for the exchange or for further talks.“We have reached understandings on the guiding principles, but the drafting and writing phase of the agreement will be more difficult,” he said, as quoted by CNN. “Right now we have a much clearer picture of what work needs to happen and what work needs to continue of course both sides still have work to do to get closer together but at least now we have a framework and a clearer path to go on.”The Trump administration is demanding that Iran agree to a new nuclear accord prohibiting uranium enrichment. President Donald Trump has threatened military action for weeks, initially warning Iranian leaders last month that he was prepared to order an attack if the government did not stop killing protesters. The first round of talks on Feb. 6 was held in Oman and conducted indirectly, with SUVs flying the American flag entering the palace venue only after it appeared Iranian officials had left.