‘Why did we compromise our … ‘: Congress raises 7 questions after US court strikes down Trump tariffs
NEW DELHI: The Congress on Saturday once again targeted Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the recently finalised interim trade agreement, earlier this month, between India and the United States, which took nearly a year to reach mutual consensus. The largest opposition party’s attack on PM Modi came after the US Supreme Court struck down Donald Trump’s tariffs, a key weapon of the trade policy pursued under the MAGA supremo.In a post on X, the party outlined what it called the story of a “trade deal and compromised PM,” listing key developments after the top court’s decision. Referring to the Friday’s ruling, the Congress said that the US Supreme Court had struck down Trump’s reciprocal tariffs, after which he invoked Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 to impose a fresh 10 per cent global tariff on imports.
The grand old party claimed that the ruling would mean India now faces a 10 per cent tariff rate, while also pointing to the interim trade deal announced earlier this month that fixed tariffs on Indian goods at 18 per cent. It further alleged that “India committed to reducing tariffs on various US goods to 0% and buying goods worth $500 billion over 5 years from the US”Congress also raised a series of pointed questions about the trade pact signed between New Delhi and Washington.“What was the rush to plead for a trade deal, bending backwards and agreeing to an anti-India deal?” the party asked.“The trade deal had been pending for months, why did Modi push for it suddenly and agreed on a 30 min phone call?” it said, questioning the timing of the agreement.The Congress further asked, “Why did we agree to huge imports from US, and reducing tariff on its products to zero?” It also questioned the impact on the agricultural sector, asking, “Why did we agree to sacrifice the interests of our farmers?”Raising concerns over data and energy security, the party said, “Why did we agree to giving all our data on a platter to the US?” and “Why did we compromise our energy security by agreeing not to buy Russian oil?”It also took aim at the tariff structure under the deal, asking, “How foolish were we to celebrate a 6X increase in our tariff from under 3% to 18%?”“The answer to all these and other questions is a COMPROMISED Prime Minister,” the Congress alleged. Meanwhile, the PM Modi-led government said it is closely examining the implications of the US Supreme Court’s ruling on tariffs.In its first official response, the ministry of commerce and industry said, “We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday. President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. Some steps have been announced by the US administration.”“We are studying all these developments for their implications,” the ministry added.Meanwhile, the PM Modi-led government said it is monitoring the situation and assessing the implications of the US Supreme Court’s ruling.In its first official response, the ministry of commerce and industry said, “We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday. US President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. Some steps have been announced by the US administration.”“We are studying all these developments for their implications,” the ministry added.